For the first time anywhere, the Lititz Historical Foundation has created an exhibit focusing on the history of the newspaper in Lititz.
This collection brings together many rare and one of a kind original publications, dating back to the 1870’s.
Below are just some of the many original examples of newspapers which are on display and included in the exhibit.
The Progressive Weekly
A direct competitor to the Lititz Record Express, the Progressive Weekly was published at Keehn’s Printing located at 8 East Lemon Street in Lititz beginning in 1934.
Founded by John Zook and E.Z. Ernst in 1877, the Sunbeam contained “Literature, Education, and General Intelligence” as well as poems, short stories, and both national and local ads. A yearly subscription could be had for seventy-five cents; but for twenty-five cents more, a customer could choose from a list of premiums including a stationary package; a Revised New Testament; or a Kendall’s Horse Book.
For three years between 1893 and 1896, staunch conservative John Zook would publish a monthly newspaper in Lititz, and call it The Prohibitionist. The 4-page over sized paper contained rules and bylaws of the Prohibitionist party, names and addresses of senators and representatives within the party, local and national advertisements, Bible versus, and wholesome words and advice to live by.
The Litiz Gazette
Published by the Lancaster County Newspaper Alliance only for two years between 1875 and 1876, the *Litiz Gazette was owned by Lancaster beer baron J.J. Sprenger and brought local, regional, and national news within its pages to readers both near and far. An 8-page weekly publication which arrived each Saturday, an annual subscription could be obtained for only $2.00.
The Lititz Express
The Lititz Express was a publication launched out of the Sunbeam’s folding, and a joint effort between John Zook and C.N. Derr. He would leave the Express in 1896, but Zook would press on, and continue to publish. Then, in 1937, the Lititz Express would merge with the Lititz Record, and eventually change its name to the Lititz Record Express.
The Lititz Times
Owned and maintained by the Times Printing Company, was a weekly publication which was printed every Thursday at 66 North Broad Street in downtown Lititz.
See these and many more as well as learn the history of each publication by checking out this exhibit today!
The History of the Newspaper in Lititz is running now through December 2019 at the Lititz Historical Foundation.